Saturday, January 11, 2014

Eyes in the boat six!

It's been an absolutely lovely week here at Oxford. I feel that I've been fortunate in hitting the ground running. I'm surrounded by kind, funny, and very intelligent people. Something new that I have been able to enjoy since arriving has been rowing. Originally I thought that the early mornings would be a little bit too difficult but after some thought - I decided to give it a try. Looking back now, I am incredibly grateful that I did!

A Saturday outing on the Isis
College rowing is arranged into three distinct parts over the Oxford academic year. The three components correspond to three separate races. As I a write this, I have finished racing for the first term - Michaelmas - A term reserved solely for novice racing. This gives everyone a chance to compete regardless of ability. During first semester the River Isis is filled with boats, as teams of nine (eight rowers + cox) putter about for the first time on water. On the riverside foot-path, coaches cycle shouting their directions, and encouragement.

'Eyes in the boat Six!'
I rowed on stroke side this semester, in position six. This meant there were two people between myself and the cox. The cox sits facing forward, at the stern.To save time, and improve clarity - the coaching staff referred to us by our position within the boat. 'EYES IN THE BOAT SIX!'  was a command that was yelled out on a fairly regular basis. Being a nature-nerd with a justified reputation for fits-of-spaciness, rowing practices provided a fantastic opportunity to gaze at ducks, swans and mistletoe from atop the murky waters of the Isis. I mean, if a red kite dipped behind an ancient oak - would you ignore it? I think not. Notable sightings included: call ducks, kingfishers, mute swans, magpies, blackbirds, English robins, and jays! If only there was room for a camera, and my RSPB field guide...

'I thought you were Canadian?'
The morning practices are cold. I didn't bother purchasing any long under-armour sort of clothing. I am part of a distinct short-wearing minority. Once out on the water, the workout keeps one from shivering too badly. When returning the boat to the shed after the workout - the water splashed into the boat during the outing is generally tipped onto our heads. At that point -  I'm usually freezing, and audibly expressing it - through 'comical' teeth-chattering. Often it's a quick sprint back to college, where a traditional English breakfast calls my name from the buttery. There's just something about those baked beans, and rashers of bacon that seem irresistible after a morning row.

Magdalen Mens Novice 1: All smiles from the Isis
Luckily, standing at 6'2 - my general lankiness allows me to be a fairly effective rower. My technique is not as refined as most, and I'm not as strong as some of the other fellows. Luckily, I was able to splash my way onto a spot in the Men's first novice boat. We have a unique boat in terms of most. Most friends involved in rowing do so with a group of British undergraduates. Our team was a little different in that six of us are graduate students (Theoretical Chemistry, Structural Biology, Condensed Matter Physics,  Theoretical Physics, Zoology, and Law (II)). The remaining two are taking one of Oxford's most renowned undergraduate programs (Politics, Philosophy and Economics).

Breaking the second preconception that Oxford rowing is generally a sport dominated by Brits - we are represented in our boat by eight different countries: Spain, Australia, Canada, England (II),  Russia, Greece, France, and Germany. Our team had a great time in and out of the water, it was a pleasure to row with such lovely people. Our coaches Lok, and Chris (standing on the far edges, left and right respectively - hailed from Hong Kong, and New Zealand - continuing to add international flavour to our rowing team).

Magdalen Novice Men I
L-R: Backrow: Tim, Dmitri, Scott, Paul
Middle: Lok, Alex, Antonio, Christos, Max, Chris
Horizontal: Fran - Our lovely Cox!


We had a fantastic season racing. Hours on the stationary rowing machines (ergs), paired with countless hours on the water - had us feeling fit, and ready for some racing action. At the Novice Regatta we breezed through our first few matches against Merton II, and St Johns II. We came up in the round of 16 against St Hugh's College. This was a bit problematic, as they were one of the best teams on the river. We lost by a 1/4 length after a hard, windy, and cold race. Hugh's eventually made it to the semi finals, losing to the eventual winners after catching a crab


As the term draws to a close, I've begun working out a bit with more experienced members of the college teams. I've found quickly that I've got a long way to go if I hope to snag a spot on the second or third team this team this term (fingers crossed). I'm so pleased to have found such a Oxonian way to exercise, while making a variety of fantastic friends! Rowing has been a perfect introduction to Oxford, if you find yourself studying where a rowing is accessible - I would whole-heartedly recommend it!

With squidgy feet, boundless energy, and chattering teeth - yours truly.
PM





No comments:

Post a Comment