Thursday, October 31, 2013

Little bit of sunshine, and a whole lot of happiness

If there is any prevailing theme on my first few weeks living and studying in the United Kingdom it would likely be happiness. To feel as adjusted as I do, in a completely unfamiliar setting is an odd but strangely comforting feeling. Finding my footing has never been something that I've struggled with, although this new adventure brings my comfort to a new level.

I've been trying to analyze what it is that's making this adjustment so positive. Being away from the people, culture, and landscape that I am so firmly attached to has been fare more natural than I ever could have anticipated. I've been trying to understand it; to pick away at the pieces, and try to decipher what exactly is keeping me on such a high.

Gardens at Rhodes House, Oxford, UK
To begin with, I think a significant part of my happiness is due solely to the physical attributes of this wonderful city. Oxford is without a doubt the most interesting place I have experienced. Tradition, culture, politics, and history are all whorled into a fantastic town that is full of adventure, mystery, and head-scratching-questions that leave you pining for answers. There is often little rhyme or reason, but then fantastically effective, and well orchestrated ideas that are beneficial to everyone. There are beautiful hidden gems of pubs on back roads. There are little gardens waiting to be discovered seven-feet-up on rock walls. There are knitting-installations, and wood ovens inside of lunch trucks. A pair of magpies live outside my room. I've practically given myself whiplash from backward glances at period fancy-dress (costumes), bell fuchsia, and grape-vines with a base comparable to a laundry basket. There are stories waiting to be discovered, and questions to be asked. It's confusing, and overwhelming, and pleasing. You've got to come visit. I'll have you for a pint.

A conversation between a hard-looking pair - Magdalen College, Oxford, UK

Besides the excitement and beauty of the city, it seems that it's the people that have truly made this transition so natural. No matter where I am, or what I'm doing - at Oxford, I'm surrounded interesting, intelligent and kind individuals. I've taken a quick moment to divide these peoples into different communities.

My lab group is extraordinary. I am sharing a lab group with some of the most knowledgeable entomologists I have ever met. Their intelligence starts with knowledge of insects, and continues into statistics, and natural history. It then moves into law, policy making, history, and culture. I have moments where I feel absolutely naive, bumbling, and frantic. Despite this, I can feel myself being pulled up to a whole new standard of thinking, debating and asking questions. It's an appreciated opportunity to interact with such wonderful people on a daily basis. Many of the people within my group are close to finishing, or defending their D.Phil theses - a perfect example to the wonderful things I could be capable of accomplishing with significant hard-work and dedication in these next few years.

Along with my lab group, my college community has also been fantastic. I've been fortunate to become friends with both undergraduate, and graduate students across a wide variety of disciplines. Sitting and enjoying a beer, can quickly turn into an ethical discussion, a crash-course in British history, or a lesson in classical literature. The Middle Common Room (MCR) is a social hub for the graduate students within the college. They provide fantastic opportunity for meeting new people within the graduate student community. The events are fun, frequent, and casual including weekly brunches, 'liquid lounges', and exchanges with other college MCR groups. As I continue to find my footing, I'm looking forward to becoming more involved in this dynamic group of people, and move into a role where I too can contribute to improving student life within Magdalen College.


The Rhodes community has been another fantastic backbone, crucial to my happiness and success here at Oxford. Since arriving, I've been involved with a few different parts of the Rhodes community. I've been taking a weekly mindfulness course, which is something new to me. The course was developed by an Oxford fellow, and teaches methods to become increasingly aware of your daily life. It involves daily meditation, paired with weekly exercises. Personally, I've experienced a deep feeling of responsibility, and pressure associated with accepting the Rhodes scholarship. The sessions are helping me relax, and become increasingly more mindful of myself, and my actions. The second group I've become involved with is a discussion group that tackles the issues and ethical dilemmas that come along with accepting a scholarship, funded by exploitative practices. The sentiment that comes along with the Rhodes Scholarship can sometimes feel more like an overwhelming pressure than opportunity. This group of scholars, is helping me work through how I will define, and approach "Fighting the Worlds fight", both as a scientist, and as a leader.

Autumn foliage near one of my favourite fair-weather reading spots. Rhodes House, Oxford, UK

Finally, I have been falling in love with a new sport. I've functionally set my badminton racket in the corner, and have put my running shoes under the bed. I've started rowing with the Magdalen College Boat Club. Being tall, and in reasonably good physical condition - I've found the transition to be quite natural. The early mornings on the Thames, evening sessions 'erging' in the college gym never fail to put a mile-wide smile on my face. We have a regatta coming later in the term, I can't wait to see how our group stacks up against other novice teams. The exercise is absolutely phenomenal. The amount of teamwork required to allow eight guys to pull a boat through the water smoothly, is more than I ever could have expected. The social interaction at the boathouse, at the gym, and walking through Christchurch meadows in the morning has provided wonderful opportunity for conversation, and discussion. I feel so lucky to be included in yet another tight-knit community here at Oxford.

Two rowing buddies walking back through Christ Church Meadow after a morning river session

If you were to ask me how I'm doing, I would tell you that I'm thriving. I'd tell you that I am overwhelmed by the sights, the sounds, and by all of the information that I have at my fingertips. I'd tell you that I'm missing my friends, colleagues, family, and girlfriend. I'd tell you that I have a new-found appreciation for people who managed to write their dissertation on a typewriter, and draw their figures by hand.  It's been an incredible journey so far, and it's really only just begun. Thank-you for following along, and sharing this adventure with me.

PM

2 comments:

  1. I think I need that mindfulness course, is it available as a webinar? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe that it is, however the book does come with an audio-guide! I highly recommend it! http://franticworld.com/

    ReplyDelete